Post Questions Here: The Question Thread
Hi. I was wondering about stories that have a group of heroes in them. Not just an all-star cast for a voyage where they are all useful once, but something more similar to the games we will be playing. (groups with 4+ dudes please).

Bonus question- do you think the focus on lone heroes in myths is due (in part) to the oral tradition making it harder to focus a story on more than one or two main characters? The only player-sized group I know about in mythology is in Journey to the West, but that was always a book.

Just one more because I can't help it- What other monkey/ape gods are there? The Handsome Monkey King and Hanuman are absurdly strong and wildly magical. Are most monkey gods in Asia viewed this way? Or is it a case of one (HMK) being obviously influenced by the other? (totally interested in African monkey gods too if you have them)

Thanks!

Jason and the Argonauts is a good example, so is the story of Troy, tons of heros playing on different sides, some of them even have spin off myths, the story of Oddysesus and all.
There's also the Pandavas in the Mahabharata, who are a pretty good example of an RPG style 'party'. Though Arjuna does tend to have a whole bunch of solo adventures.
Great questions! I will take them back to the weekly meeting.
I know the book is still in editing but can we have a ballpark figure of the pagecount?

LoseronDemand-
I don't agree with you on Jason and the Argonauts or the Odyssey. The Odyssey was clearly entirely about one man deciding everything. He didn't even have a very relevant right hand man. These games we play have a party of people with distinct personalities whose opinions matter. I'm struggling to remember one time when a named member of Odysseus' crew made a significant decision or took the spotlight.

Jason and the Argonauts goes a different way, but still lacks distinct personalities. Jason is the leader of an all-star crew. Every dude has a name and a reason why they are cool, but beyond using their one relevant specialty they don't matter much more than a mook. I will reread the story soon and revise my post if I feel wrong though.

I have never read the full story of Troy so I should probably get on that, but I am looking for a close group of strong personalities that share a goal/quest/journey together where they are all independently important more than once.
Hmmm For that if you don't mind going a little christiany I would say King Arthur Myths are great for that, and since many of those have roots older than the Christianized version (From what I recall the original stories were searching for a Magical Cauldron instead of a Holy Grail and more pre-Norman British Isle in nature) filled with awesome characters that work together and each have their own strong personalities and motives but are a wonder team.

The Odyssey was just referenced as a spin-off of the Iliad (story of Trojan War).

Also with Jason and the Argonauts, they may not have all been as awesome as Jason who was most certainly their leader and the protagonist of the stories but they were all heroes (In the greek sense) in their own rights, many being named and having cool lineages and important parts to play in the overall story.

Some big names you may recognize:
Theseus
Heracles
Eurymedon
Orpheus
and many more!

Think of it like the Greek Mythology version of the Avengers. Everyone is there!

Smugtisser,

Added to the questions list for the week.
Hmmmm while I still don't think that story fits in with what I am looking for, I will concede that the all-star crew had even bigger stars than I gave it credit for. I totally forgot dudes like Hercules and Theseus were a part of the group.

But just to be super clear (and I think you got it with King Author myths) that I am looking for mythological parties/groups that parallel the PC parties/groups that we play as. Now I am off to read about some really old knights.
(11-24-2014, 06:28 PM)'EthTirLoMalRal' Wrote: Hmmmm while I still don't think that story fits in with what I am looking for, I will concede that the all-star crew had even bigger stars than I gave it credit for. I totally forgot dudes like Hercules and Theseus were a part of the group.

But just to be super clear (and I think you got it with King Author myths) that I am looking for mythological parties/groups that parallel the PC parties/groups that we play as. Now I am off to read about some really old knights.

EthTirLoMalRal, I highly recommend the Pandavas Samudra suggested from the Mahabharata. Yudhisthira is the son of Yama, the Judge of Naraka, Bhima is the son of Vayu, the Wind Lord, Arjuna (the main hero) is the son of Indra, King of the Deva and the Lord of Thunder, and Nakula and Sahadeva are the sons of the Ashvin Twins, the sons of Surya the Sun God who represent Sunrise and Sunset. 

And the plot revolves around the five of them and Krishna, the most famous avatara of Vishnu. One of the antagonists, Karna, is their half-brother and also the son of Surya, the Sun God. So not only are the heroes a team of God-Touched, but they're also opposed by one as well.

Jacob from John's Scion Resources